Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chico and back to Sac

Hello! We'll I've been back in Sacramento since Sunday and I haven't even blogged about Chico yet! Alex and I haven't done anything touristy yet in Sac. We have mostly just spent time with friends and family. Alex has been working on the bus. He is trying to get our dual battery system to work. It is too difficult for me to explain; I would probably tell you the wrong info anyway. Maybe he'll blog about it and then you can be filled in on exactly what he is doing on the bus. Anyways, Chico....I really liked Chico. It is mainly a college town, and I've found that in college towns there is so much more to do. It rained for the most part, but we did find time to go to a museum, see an alumni basketball game, eat out at some local restaurants, go to coffee, do laundry, attend church, and take a long walk in the famous Bidwell park. All of this in just two days! We weren't bored at all.


The museum was interesting; It was a museum in downtown Chico right down the street from the college and it had a lot of history on bee hives. The bee hive stuff didn't really interest me, but there was a small history section on the development and evolution of the town of Chico, which I enjoyed learning about. One thing I learned, which you might find kind of funny, is that Chico State University used to be named Normal College. I guess it was the normal school to go to. The original building was burned down and after the school was rebuilt it soon lost the name of Normal College.

We walked around the Chico State campus for a bit. I love the architecture. Most of the buildings are made out of brick, which reminds me of being in London. A friend of ours went to Chico State University about ten years ago, Leah Rice, and she happened to be playing an alumni basketball game while we were in Chico. We couldn't pass up the opportunity to see her play and it was free. Even if it wasn't free we still probably would have gone, it being free was just a bonus.  I really enjoyed seeing her play. She kicked butt! Most of the people she was playing against were only out of college for maybe a year and she hadn't been in the game for years before she played that day in Chico. I was impressed on how well she did. Her team didn't win, but it was a good game, and I know she had a ton of fun.



Alex and I attended Bidwell Presbyterian Church on Sunday and it was a nice church. I found out that Presbyterians don't do full immersion baptism. I'm not sure why they baptize by sprinkling water onto one's face, but I guess it works for them. I did like the church service and it seems like the church is pretty involved in the community.

After Church we went to Bidwell Park. Bidwell park is a beautiful park in Chico. It is very long. Not very wide, but very long. There is a creek that runs through the park and the bike/walking trail runs right along the stream for the most part. The sun was out and no rain. So, that was definitely a good for us. A really cool thing about Bidwell Park is that they have an outdoor pool area and the water is from the creek that runs through the park. So, it is like a creek pool. I've never seen anything like it.




We walked for at least 7 or 8 miles and we only walked lower Bidwell park. There is an upper Bidwell park, but we were too tired to walk the whole thing.




When we were done with our walk Alex asked me if I wanted to go to Auburn or if I wanted to go back to Sacramento. I thought about it and the weather said there was rain in the forecast for Auburn; Sacramento was so close and we could be sleeping in a warm bed when we got to Sac, so I opted for going back to Sac. And now we are here.

We are leaving again on Saturday and will be going south. I'm looking forward to getting on the road again. I'm ready for more adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment