Thursday, November 11, 2010

Leaving Winters, and going to Napa and Petaluma

Okay. So, just when I finished writing my last blog entry Alex and I packed up our computers and left the coffee shop in Winters and as soon as we got into our bus, a fire dept truck rolled up behind us and asked us about the oil spill. Uh, oh...why didn't we leave the scene when Alex finished fixing the problem? Well, to make a long story short, The fire dept had to write all our info down, call the public safety team, close down two streets and clean up our hazardous oil spill. As everything was going on I said to Alex, "I think we over stayed our welcome in Winters." Winters is not a very large town, so to close down two streets is a pretty big deal. After everything was cleaned up we left town and proceeded to go to Lake Berryessa. We were planning on staying at a camp ground there, but as soon as we rolled up to the camp ground we knew there was no way we were going to stay. The gate was open to the camp, but there was no one in site. The road entrance to the camp sites was blocked by a huge truck, and the lake was not a pretty site. Before leaving Sacramento my sister-in-law told me that she and my brother had gone to Lake Berryessa the month before and it was not the greatest experience. So, she advised us not to go, but we took her advice lightly and decided to check it out for ourselves. I guess we should have listened.
We then decided to go to Napa, which turned out to be an excellent choice. We stayed at a lovely wilderness park on the outskirts of town. The park had free wifi, electrical hook-ups, hot showers and beautiful hiking trails; and we got a discount for having AAA. I was mainly excited about the hot showers, since I hadn't showered in two days. Strangely the shower water had a funky smell, describing it sounds a little gross, but it had a hint poo smell. I used lots of bodywash because I wasn't about to let myself smell worse than when I went into the shower. We went on a lovely hike and worked up a sweat. The camp was pretty quiet and the next day we left and went to Petaluma.
Petaluma is a very pretty town. We parked our van on the edge of town and rode our bikes to downtown Petaluma. We walked around and took some pics in a photo booth. Petaluma is filled with antique shops. Seriously, it seems like every other store is an antique store or coffee shop. I love antiques, but this was like overload. We are still in Petaluma as I'm writing this entry and it has been pretty relaxing and uneventful. We are going to take showers at the 24hr fitness here in town. We purposely kept our gym membership for that exact reason. Anyways, our next destination is Bodega Bay and then on to Mendocino. I'll post the pics we took in Napa and Petaluma on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. So genius to keep the 24hr membership! and so hilarious about the poo water at Napa... maybe that was the catch for all the nice stuff there. Like the city spent all their money on wifi and water heaters but couldn't afford to treat the poo water.

    ReplyDelete