Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mobile, Alabama? Yeah, I've been there.

Mobile, Alabama has been a little more exciting than I expected. Mobile is the one and only town we've seen in Alabama and it's been fun for the most part. It's a town right along the Gulf. We are trying to stay where the warm weather is and so far it's working:)

Last night we stayed at a Motel 6 because Alex and I were in need of a shower.  Motel 6 was one of the cheapest motels in town and it was only for one night. We didn't want to spend too much money and it looked decent from the outside. Key word is "outside."  Staying there was enough for me to say I will never stay at a Motel 6 again! I'm willing to pay the extra $20-30 for some place nicer. To sum up the experience, it felt like we were in the ghetto, even though we were in the middle of a very nice area. Our time at the motel consisted of a dirty room, bank robbers, multiple bullet-proof vested police, a warning to not come out our room, yelling and screaming in the middle of the night, loud white-trash neighbors at 6am until we checked out, and to top it off a non-smoking room that reeked of smoke. Yikes! Yeah, that's enough to keep me away from Motel 6. Hey, but the upside on all that is, I did get a shower. After the police situation I told Alex we should just leave, but the police reassured us that we would be okay, so we stayed to only endure more torture. Ugh.

When we left the motel this morning, Alex and I decided to go to a little coffee shop in Downtown Mobile. Upon arriving we had come just in time for a Historical Bike Tour that was just about to leave from that little coffee shop. What a cool "Happy accident," in Alex's words. Honestly, I really just wanted relax at the coffee shop after having such a horrible stay at the motel, but Alex really insisted on joining the bike group. I was glad I gave in because we got to see so many beautiful historical homes and buildings. If I had of pouted and made a stink about not joining the group then we probably wouldn't of had a chance to really explore and see the history of Mobile. So, yea for me not being a brat:)


There were about 50 bicyclers total, so it seemed a little hectic at times, but it was a really fun experience. We got to ride through Mobile's oldest suburb, "Ashland Place;" see their first highschool; visit one of the oldest buildings in the town, which is a Convent and just take in all the old homes and trees surrounding the area. It was Beautiful! Oh yeah, and supposedly we rode by Darwin's house, as well.


Mobile's first High School

A house in Mobile's First Suburb, dates back to 1907


Old Convent

Our next place of adventure is Pensacola, FL. I'm really enjoying all this beautiful weather. Highs are in the mid 70s!

1 comment:

  1. Great Pictures looks your having great time on the bike out there good thing you guys have them.

    ReplyDelete